Every great parent loves their child, but they are very aware that they have faults as well. You never want to list out the “oh-no’s,” but I bet you anything there are already 5 of them that popped in your head when the word “fault” was read. And that’s ok–they’re as human as you and I are. But their are things to look out for and try to solve when flying anywhere, so your kid doesn’t become THAT child on the flight to every passenger in a listening distance. Here are some of the biggest complaints people have said about children who seem to have no discipline in their life (seem being the operative word here):
- Crying. Kids cry sometimes. Put a child on a plane and the chances of a kid crying go up exponentially. Crying annoys others. It gets them tense and upset. So how do we stop our kids from crying? Well that’s a tough one. You can try candy. Candy sometimes works, but then you may have to deal with …
- Tantrums. Once that sugar high kicks in, then comes down, tantrums might begin. No one wants a whiny, tantrumy kid while trapped in a flying metal thing in the sky. Not even the parents of the child. What to do? Use your bargaining chips. Make deals to get your child to stop being that way and you might get lucky.
- Kicking the seat. Please dear child, don’t kick the seat in front of you! It happens though. If it does, you know what to do, right parents?
- Poop diapers. Mostly for the parents of the younger ones of course. It’s stinky with all that recycled air. You are kind of at a loss in this situation. Sorry passengers.
- Boogers on seats. Kids are gross sometimes. Kids love boogers. They like to pick them and eat them or put them on others. If this happens, work on that apology.
- Putting the window shade up and down and up and down. We discussed how kids can be annoying sometimes. So can adults. We kind of wish adults would realize that and just deal. If they can’t, a smile and apology work well here, too.
- Walking the aisles. If you let your child get up and walk the aisles, they may start running, getting you in trouble with the flight attendants, or they may just walk and bump into people along the way. This may be one of those times where you should have candy on hand for everyone to enjoy.