When I left to go to Dallas to chase my dream of being on Broadway, I was barely 18 years old. My parents didn’t know if I would run off to New York or what!!! So, they set me up in Dallas with an acting coach, an acting school, and a place to live.
I just knew I was going to make it! I would audition for so many roles at various theaters throughout the DFW area, and most of the time I wouldn’t get a part. But I kept working for my dream.
It took me 5 years to realize that I may not get on Broadway.
I remember the night I realized my parents were just people, just like me. They went through this thing called life, just like me!
I’ll never forget it. I phoned my precious parents that night. Daddy answered the phone and I burst into tears. I told him “Life isn’t fair!” Then I heard my Daddy reply, “Amy, you have officially grown up.”
You might be shaking your head right now. But trust me, sooner or later, you’ll know I was right.
10 Things to Remember about Your Parents
- Your parents would sacrifice anything for your happiness.
- Your parents have a past AND scars just like you do.
- Guess what… Your parents aren’t happy all the time. Even though they didn’t show it around you. Parents are people too. Parents have troubles and experience misery, fear, and tough times.
- Brace yourself – They know have to have fun! As kids, we always looked at our parents as “anti-fun.” But what you didn’t know was they loved being at home and with you!
- Your parents don’t know everything. Just because they are “grown up” doesn’t mean they know any more than you do. They’re just trying to make it day by day.
- Your parents have worries and guess what… They have problems too.
- Your parents make mistakes. Yep, they’re flawed!
- Your parents are still afraid of being adults. Life doesn’t come with a manual.
- Your parents need love as much as you do.
- Believe it or not, your parents were your age once upon a time.
So give your parents a break, because we’re all just trying to make it!
What have you learned about yourself and about your parents over the years? Is there anything your parents did that you were sure to do as a parent? Maybe there’s something you changed a little bit… We’d love to hear from you! You can leave us a comment below!
[x_button shape=”square” size=”regular” float=”none” href=”https://kvne.com/category/kvne-blogs/as-heard-on-89-5-kvne/” info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]READ ALL HEARD ON AIR BLOGS[/x_button]