Over the course of time, I will admit I’ve gotten BAD at sending out gifts for Christmas, let alone cards even. Started on a great note when I was in college and even the first few years of radio life. But because of finances, time, and effort, I’ve gotten lazy…and I can’t stand it! If you’ve been like me for quite awhile but want to change your ways this year, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) has come up with tips on how to get that package (or 12) out the door safely and correctly this year:
Track your delivery
- You’ll receive a tracking number with your online order. Follow the whereabouts of your merchandise online. Some delivery services offer notifications for each step of your package’s journey. Contact the seller/company immediately if your package is not received when indicated. You may also want to notify your local police department.
Choose a delivery time that fits your schedule
- You can request a delivery time when you know you will be available to accept the package. Some delivery services now offer evening drop-offs and the ability to schedule appointments for delivery. Having the shipment delivered to your work address is also an option, but first check for company permission to do so.
Request a confirmation signature
- The delivery service won’t leave the package unattended if you request signature confirmation upon delivery.
Choose alternative delivery options
- Give specific delivery instructions. You can request to have the shipping company hold the package at its delivery center and you pick it up there or have the item shipped to the retailer’s nearest store for in-store pickup.
Insure valuable items
- Purchase delivery insurance and insure your merchandise against loss or damage.